2.05.2012

Working on the Weekend

This weekend flew by...kind of like last weekend...and the weekend before that. Nothing went as planned but that's alright - I'm a firm believer that weekends shouldn't be too structured anyway. I missed the premier of Jason Wu for Target because Target opened at 8am and, according to a colleague who braved the lines, there wasn't much left at 11am. I didn't organize my bedroom (which has become somewhat of a deathtrap) and I didn't go grocery shopping (except to buy a few Super Bowl essentials).

For a weekend that didn't include much productivity, I managed to do one thing that will (hopefully) set my week up for a bit of success: This afternoon, I spent two hours at work...and surprisingly enough, I'm pretty darn glad I did.

People work on the weekend all the time (at my job more than most, it seems), but I have really tried to opt for a few hours on my computer at home rather than traveling the twenty minutes to my office on my sweet Saturday or Sunday. So why did I make the not-so-convenient leap today?

Efficiency. Spending two hours on a Sunday afternoon in the office was far more productive than the alternatives because...
  1. A few hours on my computer at home would have probably been more like thirty minutes of work and an hour and a half of doing anything but working. 
  2. The most productive parts of my weekday are before 9am and after 5pm when no one else is in the office. Colleagues are distracting and "emergencies" can take away from other, equally important but less in-your-face tasks.
So today - I bit the bullet in order to make the week ahead less intense. Hopefully I won't have to do it again next weekend, but for now, I can't complain.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message. I would love to read your input!