1.12.2013

lessons from the capital.



I learned a lot when I moved to Washington. I thought I should share these before I move to Paris.

·         The real world is so much tougher than college. But I always loved a challenge.

·         The idea that “I’m not a girls’ girl” proved to be false. I have made some great new friends in DC and strengthened relationships with my girlfriends from high school and college. We’ve absolutely got to teach young girls to treat each other with respect – it will make such a difference in their teenage years.

·         The best years of my life are nowhere to be seen (and most definitely weren’t high school or college). I can’t wait to move to Paris, create a company that I can call my own, write a book, and hopefully someday start a family.

·         Home is truly where the heart is. I love my family and will always feel a sense of comfort in Kansas, but I will never settle down in Kansas (sorry family).

·         The average age of single women is much, much higher in DC than in Kansas. There’s no hurry to get married or have children – career comes first. I can see the benefit of both sides. I know which one is better for me but it’s really just an observation.

·         I love going to the movies! Over the past three years, I’ve seen several dozen movies at theatres – including the Oscar nominated short films. Everytime I’m at the movies, I leave wanting to create something. A great movie seen at a dark, big theatre is like reading a wonderful book in a quiet, comfy chair.

·         Walking is powerful, for the mind and body.  In Kansas, no one walks. Well, that’s not true. We “go for walks” which is different than walking the three miles from work to home after a long day.  

·         Strangers are nice. Yup. Even in DC, people are (mostly) polite. Sometimes I feel like the Midwest up and moved to DC just to make sure I was comfortable.

·         People who work on the hill are often out of touch with the states they are representing. I know this because I sometimes find that I am out of touch with the rest of the country. It’s so easy to forget that my friends in Kansas are living an entirely different (not better or worse) life than I am.

·         Most Kansas girls have a better sense of style than the women in DC….so this just goes to show that I need to step up my game before moving to Paris. EEK!

·         Being single is fun. Being in a relationship with the right guy is so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message. I would love to read your input!